COMMUNE OF LISTRAC-MEDOC, Protected designation of origin
The commune was already renowned in the 18th century, and came back into the limelight at the beginning of the 20th century. In 1913, Listrac ranked among the largest winemaking communes of the Médoc peninsula, with 1380 hectares of vines. At the beginning of the 20th century, Listrac, located some thirty km north of Bordeaux, took the name Listrac-Médoc to distinguish it from Listrac de Durèze (70 km south-east of Bordeaux). In 1957, the Ministry of Agriculture granted the wines of the commune the benefit of their own appellation: Listrac-Médoc, as the wines had been declared as Haut-Médoc until that time.
Located inland between Margaux and Saint-Julien, Listrac is the "roof" of the Médoc, proudly reaching an altitude of 43 metres. This high location, some distance from the Gironde river, is home to a specific microclimate which is cooler but also drier. The mist from the Gironde has more difficulty reaching the vineyard, resulting in improved grape health. The natural slopes are conducive to good soil drainage and the relative coolness of the climate fosters slow and regular ripening.
The magnificent Pyrenees gravel and Garonne gravel outcrops are mostly planted with Cabernet Sauvignon, while Merlot dominates on the limestone plateau. These soils are the wealth of a terroir closely related to that of Moulis; hence a family relationship in the wines which often connects the two appellations in the minds of wine-lovers.
Today, the commune covers 780 hectares of vines. It is reputed for some twenty crus bourgeois and a cooperative cellar.